Skip to main content

Happy holidays!

The last week of school is upon us. Tonight my Jewish friends will celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. We have tons of last minute wrapping, baking, and shopping to do still. Monday my mom arrives from Ohio for Christmas. Bringing with her the Rokenbok monorail set my son has been dying to have. I'm sure that will require plenty of assembly Christmas morning...not to mention that we're getting him his first Lego set.

2015 will be a new and interesting year for sure. My daughter is getting dance lessons (with costume and recital) for Christmas--along with art classes. She'll begin preschool--probably in the same program my son is in. While my son will head to Kindergarten in the fall. (3rd school in 3 years.) Where did the time go?

2014, first, deserves some attention. It was a year of tough bike rides...in the rain around Lake Pepin. In the boiling heat struggling to keep up with the tri club. It was a year of firsts...first swim in Lake Michigan. Starting my tenure as a transportation commissioner. Running a series of local summer races. Then there was my marathon PR in October. I got my road bike. I got health insurance thanks to Obamacare. And, oh yeah, almost 31,000 people have read my blog.

I'm going into 2015 with no expectations because 2014 was so...well-rounded. There were disappointments and triumphs and the latter outnumbered the former in a landslide. We're just recovering from a round of whatever illness is going around and I'm looking forward to a happy, healthy Christmas with the people I love and kids old enough to begin making memories, be excited for the season, and young enough to feel some of the magic

My hope for all of you reading is that, whatever you are celebrating, you come out on the other side of the New Year ready to embrace what 2015 has to offer.