Skip to main content

Blog housekeeping & announcements

First of all, thanks for reading! When I first got into blogging, my son had just turned one and I had no idea what this would turn into. I sort of pictured 50 people reading regular updates about how my kids are doing. Somehow, thanks to your shares and linking and devoted reading, I have 10,187 views as of this writing. That blows my mind. Of course, it helps that it's turned into a bulletin board (remember those?) for me to write about marathons and triathlon, politics, gender, my favorite coffee growing countries, guns, baseball, religion and a whole lot more.

With that in mind, I've made a few changes. Please let me know what you think. Seriously. I have no idea how you guys use this thing. Ok, maybe some idea...but I'm open to feedback.

I've taken away the tag cloud on the left that listed frequent topics by how often they appear. In exchange, I've tried to move the Search box to a more prominent place. And, yes, that big open space you see currently is going to be some advertising. I've tried to keep this website as clutter-free as possible, but with 10,000 of you out there it seems silly not to make a little money off you. I'm sure it will earn me exactly 75 cents...but you never know. That said, I'm trying to keep the ads to a minimum and hopefully clean and not distracting.

Advertisers, if you are a triathlon, cycling, running, nutrition, coffee, family-oriented company I encourage you to contact me. I'd be happy to offer you space. You have a great audience of savvy parents and athletes who you can market products to.

I'd also like to announce...and you'll hear more as it gets closer...that I'm starting a project where I give up Facebook & Twitter for Lent this year. Each day, I'll post one link on each social media site to the day's blog then keep all my thoughts for the day as a running timeline. All the links, thoughts, training updates, etc. for the day will be there. Stay tuned for updates on that.

Update: I've taken the ads down for now and arranged some of the sidebar content differently. Wasn't happy with the results I was getting.