Skip to main content

A Sunday without a long run

Due to the hurricane moving north, my birthday, and the long holiday weekend, I'd decided to shift my workouts this week. So Friday's workout was on Saturday. And I'm doing today's long run tomorrow.

Which meant a rather bizarre Sunday for us.

Kelly had brought Leda into bed with us overnight. Cole never has taken to being in bed with us...or rather, he and I used to take long afternoon naps together when he was still an infant, but as a toddler he uses the big bed for wrestling and pillow fights, not sleep. Leda is still in the phase where we can stick her in the middle, snuggle up, and everybody sleeps well. Er, that's my solution to the problem of Leda getting up in the night so much lately. She had a streak of 8 months where every single night you'd put her down and she wouldn't stir until 6am. But those days are over. Sometimes she just needs a pacifier. Sometimes she needs a bottle. Usually she needs to be held back to sleep. Kelly thinks having her in the bed means less room for Kelly. lol

But I managed to sneak out of bed quietly when Cole woke up this morning...Kelly and Leda were still fast asleep. And Cole can't really stand the family not all being together and insists we all get up or he'll come looking for you. So I decided to grab him, still in pjs, and take him to the car to go grab coffee for the parents. Which was awesome. The only person in Caribou on a Sunday morning at 7am around here is an old man flirting with the young women running the shop. I got Cole to climb up into one of the big comfy leather chairs by the fire, handed him a free magazine, and he didn't want to leave when the order was ready.

What do we see when we're driving down our street? Kelly, Leda, and the greyhound out for a walk. Apparently, the 'hound has the same gene that requires all members of the pack to be together. As soon as Cole and I left, she went and woke up the other owner...which Kelly, seeing we were missing, interpreted as the dog needing an immediate walk.

Later in the day after a variety of household activities and chores--which included, I'm proud to say, me learning how to open my bike brakes and take off both wheels--we decided to head out to a historic mill that is near where I bike.

The mill turned out to be fairly crowded, however, because of a Civil War encampment today. We'd just parked the car and gotten Cole interested in the water wheel and rushing creek when they began firing muzzle-loading rifles as a group. Cole is not a fan. The loud noise sent him asking to go home, crying, grabbing onto me tighter than I've ever felt. Makes me glad I didn't try to take him to fireworks. Although I think this was about the loud noise and not seeing where it was coming from, frankly.

Inside the mill was very cool. A quick, cheap little museum with a carriage, sleigh, household items, tools, and, of course, a mill demo. Kelly enjoyed the spinning wheels. Cole enjoyed the fake fruit pie ingredients laid out for mixing in a bowl with a wooden spoon.

On our way home we had to stop and get cookies for the 'hound so we let Cole come inside--something we don't normally do because it's part of a larger grocery trip to Target across the parking lot. Honestly, he enjoyed the animals at the pet store more than the animals at the zoo. He waved and said "hello" to the fish, the ferrets, the rats, the hamsters, the birds.

Not a bad day all in all. Tomorrow after my run Kelly is going to show me a bike trail she used to use frequently and we're going to try to make some cold brew coffee concentrate.