Skip to main content

Raising a global citizen

Happy May Day! Not just for workers, my friend from college reminded me that it's a religious holiday for her, too. I was just commenting on my personal Facebook that I've been watching the updates from the protests around the world. And comparing what shows up on my newsfeed in the US with what shows up internationally. The BBC has a full photo spread of Spain, France, huge rallies in Istanbul...The Guardian is covering the protests in a variety of American cities minute by minute with live updates. My hometown Tribune? Not much other than one link on the homepage.

I'm guessing most Americans can't even tell you who the Vice President is let alone the recent political scandal in China, the flare-up between Sudan and South Sudan, the origins of conflict in Syria, etc.. We're horrible citizens in our own country even.

Currently, Cole is on a Lilo & Stitch obsession having left Thomas & Friends behind somewhat. Kelly has issues with "Disneyfying" our kids, but again this movie spree could be far worse. For those who haven't seen it, it's a 2000's animated Disney film about an alien who escapes to Earth, lands in Hawaii, and learns the concept of family. It's full of Elvis songs so it has that going for it, too. But it has other lessons...like looking beyond our stereotypes of native Hawaiians, learning a bit of their culture, and showing a "broken" family that is a sister raising her sister after the death of their parents.

We tend to still think of Africa as the dark continent. I'm guessing quite a few people see South America as a poverty-stricken place where you go on mission trips. I doubt many Americans understand the Euro-crisis and what, say, French politics has to do with our own future gains and failures economically.

I'm not saying you have to be a world traveler though at least both my kids' parents have been a few places. (And their mom hated China. That's cool, too.) And I'm not saying we have to be obsessive about watching the news--though we could stand to watch a little less Fox and a little more BBC. It's also about culture, food, knowing your history, respect for others, and teaching your kids to look beyond their backyard for inspiration.