Skip to main content

Natural Nutrition For Runners -- Honey Stinger

(More on my continuing series on sports nutrition can be found using the tag cloud on the left or clicking on the Natural Nutrition For Runners label at the bottom of this post.)

I always think it speaks volumes about a product when a reviewer begins with a critical mindset, but ends up changing their mind. In this case, Honey Stinger was another company who promised review samples, but they never arrived. So I went out and bought my own from the local running store. Super excited about the waffles, I also threw in some Gold energy gel.

Not sure what I was expecting from the waffles the first time around. They were much denser and sweeter than I imagined. Less like a toaster waffle and closer to the texture of the bottom of an old-school shoe. Thin and little too much of a sugar rush, I wrote them off as not for me.

On another run, I turned to the gel...which, by the way, tastes like honey and pretty much is honey with some nutrition added...and was neither pleased nor displeased. I wrote that off as not too far out of the ordinary GU or the like. The Honey Stinger version is less yogurt-like and--obviously--more textured like honey out of a packet. If you handed me both, I'd pick the Honey Stinger. But it still doesn't meet my needs.

I had another waffle though. So I thought I'd give it one more try. Knowing what to expect this time made all the difference. If you can prepare yourself for eating something that tastes more in line with a soft waffle cone--with a slight hint of flavor--you won't be caught so off guard. Unfortunately, the waffle isn't easy to carry along in a pocket or training/racing belt.

Otherwise, I was maybe pleasantly surprised at the flavor the second time around. It made me thirsty in that weird way running nutrition does sometimes--but since I've ditched the sugary sports drink in flavor of milder electrolyte mix, it's not so bad. I recommend it with hesitation It's not for me and not for everyone. But I can also totally see the love it enjoys in the sports community.

Click here for the official Honey Stinger website