Skip to main content

Doing my best "Doomsday Preppers" impression

We watched an episode of the National Geographic "Doomsday Preppers" On Demand last night...and probably never again. Kelly had already seen one over the weekend and conveyed the crazy to me secondhand. But I had to see for myself the guy in homemade buckskin teaching his sons to drink moss water. The buildings underground. The stockpilers of food and supplies.

So, naturally, this was the first thing that came to mind this morning when the man from the Village came around to warn us that there was an emergency water repair needed on our block. The water would be shut off in 45 minutes. Back on when finished...but who knows when. "Tell your neighbors, gotta run."

Umm. Ok.

Ironically, Cole was in the middle of one of us now-infamous 45 minute, "more bubbles please" baths. I had a sink full of dishes. Nearly empty pitcher of filtered water for formula. I'm still at this point un-showered.

Enter Super Dad. Filling up bottles of water. Trying to think of every possible thing we could need water for in the next few hours and get it done now before The End.

The little placard they dropped off says if I need assistance after Public Works is closed I can call the police non-emergency line. And then what? Is officer Bob going to come to my house with a bucket of water?