Skip to main content

World Prematurity Day

Today is World Prematurity Day where we raise awareness for the 13 million babies born too soon every year worldwide. But, pardon me, I'm not really going to talk directly about preemies.

I'm busy waiting to hear my daughter who was born 6 weeks early cry from the other room. Because the last time we fed her she threw most of it back up due to a combination of reflux and her still trying to get her suck/swallow/breathe together. And when she is hungry again it will probably take about 45 minutes for her to finish her bottle. Repeat every 3 hours. You get the point.

What I'm going to talk more about today is the Houston Astros moving to the American League and another Wild Card team being added to the MLB playoffs. Just so they can get more of our money for overpriced seats and hotdogs. And how Christmas advertising is creeping earlier and earlier into the fall asking us to spend money on useless, overpriced Chinese goods.

This World Prematurity Day, my focus is on how terrible, unfair, and depressing most of the news in the world is these days. Child abuse, economic collapse, millions without a job living in poverty.

One thing we have the power to do is give fragile life a better chance at the future though. Maybe the preemie we help together today will be the one who tomorrow fixes all these problems or makes us focus on what truly matters.

I know this Thanksgiving we sure have a lot to be thankful for at my house. And she puts a smile on my face in a pretty dark time. Even if she smells.