Skip to main content

Input/Output

I think along the way this past year I've largely considered having a son to be pretty much like owning our greyhound. Don't forget to feed him, clean up his poop, play with him a little bit, he sleeps a lot.

Somewhere in the last few weeks though, he's changed.

Don't get me wrong, he's always been Cole. He's always liked banana, he's always liked a bath, he hates to have his face wiped.

But lately, I've noticed that he's experiencing the world in a completely new way that I don't understand. He's a full human being. He's become less a robotic creature with basic needs and has his own thoughts and opinions about things now. It's pretty amazing.

Sometimes you can see things clicking in his head as he ponders and makes decisions based on whatever rules he thinks run the world. "Hmmm, what am I more in the mood for...toast or nectarine?" "I can't remember what's inside this book so let's find out."

And he dances. I don't dance. His mom doesn't dance. But music comes on and he shakes his little booty and rocks his hips like the ad for whatever-it-is is the greatest jam he's ever heard. Full body, rockin, don't care if anybody is watching. I guess it goes to show music really is an essential part of the human experience.

Mostly, I love having kids because it makes me view the world like they view the world. Jaded, cynical adult aside. And one of the beautiful things I've noticed is that the things that a one year old thinks are important tend to be the things that actually are important.