Skip to main content

Doing the math

Not to sound a little too much like "Seasons of Love" from Rent (you know, "525,600 minutes, how do you measure a year?").

Or a little too T.S. Eliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" measuring out life in coffee spoons.

But I've calculated the number of days until Cole turns 18. Not from any can't-wait-until-he-leaves thoughts. Though Kelly and I have a strict, "gotta get out" policy for preparing our children for adulthood.

No, I've noticed that my days with my son have fallen into a routine that we both enjoy and I'm also very aware--unlike him--that these days are numbered.

6140 days left to be exact. If I've done the math right that's about how much we have before he leaves home.

Of course, it's really more like 3000 because, let's face it, when he turns 10 it's all downhill.

Not to mention that I'm also trying to figure out what to do when the kids head off to school and my SAHD time is over. Sadly, these awesome years of wandering over to the playground anytime we feel like or going off on grand adventure like planned for tomorrow are short.

More about what I want to be when my kids and I grow up to come...right now I'm throwing around the idea of starting my own coffee roasting business with quality single-origin beans. I have a few years to figure it out.

***
On a side note, I love the way Cole sizes kids up on the playground. He sometimes gets quiet and just stares. And he looks a little shifty. Like he's coldly calculating whether who he's dealing with is smart enough that he can steal their toys and get away with it. 

I love my devious son.